Call for entries – Eating Pineapples on the Moon
Riga Photomonth announces an open call for entries under the title of the upcoming festival Eating Pineapples on the Moon. The selected works will be shown at the festival’s exhibitions as well as open-air projection in May 2019. The subject of the upcoming festival Eating Pineapples on the Moon refers to contemporary culture in the post-truth era, where fake news, half-truths, and the social media content based on self-learning is the everyday basis of global society. We announce a call for photo projects (including multimedia and photobooks), which turn to ambiguous situations in culture in the post-truth era, post-political discourses, utopian narratives, questions of collective memory and trauma, commemorative rituals both individual and collective. Photographers from all over the world are welcome to submit their photo projects. Approximately 5 projects will be selected for exhibitions at various venues and about 35 photo series will be screened in a special event in public space during the festival’s opening week. The Riga Photomonth 2019 opening week will run from 13 until 19 May.
1. Read terms and conditions and download application form
2. Pay application fee of 7 EUR
3. Send your submission to opencall @ rigaphotomonth.com
Deadline 18 January 2019 23:59 GMT+2
Terms and conditions
- Open to photographers worldwide of all ages.
- The submitted projects must interpret the festival’s theme.
- Photographers may submit 10-20 photos from one series. They can also submit a multimedia project (video, installation) or a photobook (including dummies). Submission deadline: 18 January 2019 23:59 GMT+2. The Riga Photomonth team will shortlist and the results will be announced by 1 March 2019.
- Each participant can submit only one application (one series or project).
- The submitted entries must follow these guidelines: hi res files, 2000-2500 px long side, JPG, RGB, maximum compression. In case of a video, the link to the video should be provided in the email.
- Please entitle your entries as follows: “name_surname_number”, for example, “donald_trump_01.jpg”.
- The entry should also include an application file in .docx, which can be downloaded from the festival’s web site and should contains applicant’s name, surname, year of birth, country of residence, e-mail address, the title and short description of the series, as well as information if the works are printed/framed and available for shipping.
- Applications should be sent to email firstname.lastname@example.org using Wetransfer file transfer programme.
- Those who wish to submit a photobook, should send it to the following address: Riga Photomonth, Brivibas 99-2, Riga LV-1001, Latvia. The books should arrive by the deadline and the package should contain the printed application form. The submitted books won’t be returned.
- The participation fee is 7 EUR payable via PayPal on our site. The payment should be made no later than 12 hours after the application has been sent.
- Entries that are received after the deadline or are not formatted following the guidelines, as well as the ones for which the fee has not been paid will not be considered.
- With the authors, whose works are selected for the exhibition, the organizers will get in touch individually to arrange hi-res files or transportation of the works. Riga Photomonth has the right to determine the production and representation of the works; however will do their best to meet the requirements of the author. Works, which are produced by Riga Photomonth, will be destroyed after the show unless agreed otherwise with the author of the photographs.
- By submitting an application to the call for entry, the applicant grants permission to Riga Photomonth to showcase the entries free of charge at the festival. Also, the applicant gives Riga Photomonth and its partners a permission to use the submitted works for publicity.
- In case of questions or problems with submission, please email: opencall @ rigaphotomonth.com